Starbucks-fueled Developer

Monday, October 03, 2005

A Simple "Thank You"

Sometimes, that's all we need to get through a rough day...

My bride and I are into the home stretch of the whole wedding fiasco and, needless to say, the next 12 days are going to be hectic - at a minimum. So..with that, tensions are high, and I'll cut you the details and say that I wasn't in the best of moods leaving this evening.

On my way home though, a stranger made me feel good about myself - something that hasn't really happened to me in a good while. My state's department of transportation has made this new and intelligent move to see that all major road work and construction occur in the evening to help mitigate against construction related accidents, lower traffic congestion, etc.

Personally, I don't get this. I mean, I get it. And I appreciate the attempt. However, my experience has been that it's more of a pain than it is a real help. Road signs, even my ripe ol' age of mid-20-something, are difficult to read at night, whether or not you're familiar with the area. One evening, traffic was diverted across the median at an intersection and at the next, there weren't ample indications to get you back on the proper side of the road. I found this out because the guy in front of me split the concrete median with his vehicle, as sparks flew from the under-carage rubbed against the median. It's just a recipe for disaster if you ask me.

Well, tonight, in my attempts to just slow down and appreciate life, decided to take it extra slow through that dreaded construction zone. Not too many people apparently do that these days. At one point, there was a lot of activity going on in lane next to me; so much, that I pretty much came to a stand-still just to be safe. The flagman said "Thank you" as I passed him. For whatever reason, that simple "Thank You" meant a lot to me. I'm sure it meant it a lot to him...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home