Starbucks-fueled Developer

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Changes

Previously, I hinted at changes going on in my life - personally and professionally. A week ago today, I started a new job at the Office of the Attorney General for the State of Pennsylvania as an application developer. It was very difficult, emotionally really, to leave my previous employer; however, the changes that have happened - and still happening - have sort of comforted me along the way.

Aside from leaving the people, it's difficult when a company basically decides to abandon the type of work that you and your coworkers truly excel. While that's the way business seems to be evolving - consultant/contractor-term placements, at least in my area - it's nevertheless difficult to accept. So those, and other factors, really impacted my decision to make a change.

The other major change is that my wife and I bought our first [town]home. With what we were paying in rent, I should have had the guts to do so last year but didn't.

These are probably among the top 5 changes in a person's life, and I've done 3 of them in the past 7 months:
  1. Marriage
  2. Career/Job Change
  3. Move/Home Purchase
  4. Birth
  5. Death
Needless to say, things have been a little chaotic in my house recently. We moved in a week ago and the prior week we were painting/fixing up the place - including installation of new carpet. I'd say that I'm really looking forward (gasp!) to tax season next year, but at the moment I'm just looking forward to when my wife can put her car in the garage - signaling 80% done...

I'm hoping to post more about happenings on the job, but it's a little different when you work for a government office that is constantly investigating and taking other legal actions against various entities. At least I hope things will get more technical as the days go on.

Frankly, I'm just glad that the high-speed connection has been restored...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home