Starbucks-fueled Developer

Monday, April 11, 2005

Check In Importance

So I learned the hard way today why frequent builds and check-ins are so important and key to the XP methodology.

My boss asked me today to review my time submitted for the prior week as she wanted a more detailed report for billing purposes. "Sure, I'll review my comments in VSS to make sure I didn't miss anything and get you more accurate numbers".

The screaming you heard, yeah, the incredible pain from shooting myself in the foot.

Several files in the project that I am working on, nearly exclusively, were checked out for longer than a week without comments etc. added to detail the follow of work or track the changes to the code. Oy...

Learning to be a pragmatic programmer is a whole lot tougher than I thought...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home